Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Family Fun

This past weekend we had our annual family reunion in Kentucky. This is something that has been going on for more years than I've been alive (which is 42!). This was always a favorite time for me as a child. I had cousins my age to play with, lots of room to run and play, and I could get dirty and my mom didn't say too much! Now my kids are enjoying the same fun. They also have cousins around the same age as them, and run and play and get dirty. Who could ask for more?

As adults we enjoy talking a lot, eating a lot and playing a lot. We mostly play volleyball, but there are a few other games we play, as well. The weather this year was extremely hot and humid, but we played hard anyway. This morning I felt like I ached from head to toe. At least I was able to burn off the calories I ate!

Here are some pictures from our weekend. Beth and I took 100 pictures, but don't worry ... I didn't post them all! :o)

These are my Mom's two brothers Bob and Randy. Out of 8 boys in their family, these are the only two left. I liked this picture because they were just sitting talking and enjoying each other's company!

Here was our spread of food (still covered) on Sunday. We had a cookout Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was just sandwiches and cold stuff, Sunday was the "real" food. My Mom's chicken and dumplings are down on the front end of the table. She makes enough to feed 50 or more!

Here they are setting up the tents on Saturday. We use the carport, and then add more tents. We had 41 people on Saturday and close to 50 on Sunday.

This is the view of Aunt Sally's house from my cousin Alvin's house. I slept at Alvin and Pat's in their guest room.

Here's my great-niece, Alley, playing the guitar for an audience. That's her "Papoo" on the left, my aunt Sally (Mom's younger sister) next, and cousin Hannah sitting on the floor.

Alley getting into it!

Another shot of Alley -- isn't she CUTE!

This is my mom's older sister, Lena with one of her new great-grandsons. Her grandson and his wife had twin boys!

This is my niece Susie and her dad (my brother) Robert Wayne (Uncle Bob to my kids). This is Alley's Mommy, and she's expecting a baby in November!

Volleyball is our game of choice for the weekend. This year our cousin Terry brought a new net and some rope for a boundary line. It kept us from arguing so much! ;o)

Here's another shot of some of the players. That's Terry in the black t-shirt. We always had at least 6 to a side, but sometimes as many as 9!

This was another fun game we played. Another name for it is "Corn Hole." It's a simple game of tossing the corn bag into the hole, but it is so much fun! I have plans for Neal to make us a set of these! ;o)

Here are Chester and Charles playing Corn Hole. They say it's popular on their college campus.

Here was another favorite activity on this hot weekend!

Beth didn't want to pose for me, so I decided to put this picture on here anyway!

Here is where the kids slept over the weekend. My cousin, Alvin, bought this camper about a month ago. It has two bunk beds, a queen size bed, and two more beds that can be made from the table and the couch. Pretty nice!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Looks like a really fun weekend/reunion. I LOVE Beth's swimsuit! (I'm so glad you are modest Beth - and it shows you can be modest and beautiful!)

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."