Friday, August 10, 2007

Be Still...

And know that I am God.

I just read a wonderful post on my friend Gwen's blog. She talked about letting God be the main voice we listen to, instead of listening to all the other voices out there...radio, television, internet, etc. I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all of the varying opinions I hear all day long. I need to take the time more often to ask God to reveal to me what His opinion is for my life. How many times do I have actual "quiet?" Not often enough, I know that.

This morning I was outside picking green beans before 7:00. I enjoyed that quiet. My plan was to wake the kids up at 7:30 to have them come out and pick their rows. Around 7:15 Neal looked out and saw that I was out picking by myself and woke up the kids and sent them out. He was being helpful...not knowing how much I was enjoying the solitude. The problem with the kids picking with me is that they complain and bicker about all sorts of things. Ben was the first one out and right away I hear this big sigh, and then the first complaint spewed out of his mouth. I immediately said "Ben, I was out here by myself because I didn't want to hear any complaining." He replied with an "oh," and quietly picked beans. Beth came out and just started picking without talking (I think she was half asleep). It was the most enjoyable time I'd had with them in the garden all summer!

Remember to "Be still, and know that He is God!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be still and be quiet. I've gotten a little better about being still, but still working on the being quiet. You can't listen of you don't stop talking, right?

Mmm...fresh green beans sound yummy! I love them when they are green, fresh, little and crunchy!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."