Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Mom/Daughter Movie Night

We had a fun night tonight at our friend Heather's house. She had a few of us moms and daughters over tonight for a movie night. We watched "The Last Sin Eater." In case you haven't seen it, it is a very good movie. It takes place in the 1800's in what is probably the Appalachian mountains. A group of people came from Wales and settled there and they have what is called a "sin eater." When someone dies, they lay them out at the cemetary and put bread and wine on top of them. The sin eater comes and eats the bread and drinks the wine and then he absolves them of their sin. We, of course, know that this is not possible, and when the "man of God" comes to their land he tells them the same thing. It's a very interesting, thought provoking movie. I have to say though, that the book is better (of course). It has the same title, and the author's name is Francine Rivers. But it's pretty good for a movie that was made from a book. We, of course, also had good snacks. :o) I took some chips and salsa, and then Heather had some kind of wonderful chocolate lava cake or something and vanilla ice cream, raisin cookies, and popcorn.

Yesterday a few of us moms and daughters (and Ben) went to the dollar theater to see the Nancy Drew movie. Surprisingly I liked it. It's a modern day Nancy Drew movie, but Nancy is still pretty squeaky clean and she likes to dress "retro." Her only fault is that she disobeys her Dad...sleuthing when she promised him she wouldn't. But hey, it wouldn't be Nancy Drew if she didn't solve mysteries, now would it?

We spent about 3 1/2 hours at the pool today. I had only planned on stay 2 hours, but about 20 minutes before we had to leave some of our friends showed up and I didn 't really have a good reason why I had to go home. :o) So we enjoyed our visit. Tomorrow I'm watching a friends daughters, so we'll go to the pool again. We paid for a summer membership and we only have three weeks left....better get our money's worth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, The Last Sin Eater just didn't appeal to me. But maybe I'll netflix it after your recommendation.

It seems I rarely have time for movies so when I do watch them, I want to laugh, cry and go awww... Can't really do that with a movie with the word Sin in the title, huh? ;-) But I'll give it a go.

Lava cake and ice cream sounds deeeelicious right now!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."