Friday, December 7, 2007

Our Day Started With A Thump...

Neal decided to take today off to go deer hunting. So at 5:45ish this morning he got up and got ready to go. I got up a little after 6:00 because I had a busy day ahead of me and I knew if I didn't do my Bible reading first thing I'd never get it done. So while Neal finished getting ready I sat on the couch and read my Bible. Around 6:30 he kissed me goodbye and went out the front door. About 3 seconds later I hear "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP.". It didn't really sound like that, but I don't know how to spell bwoom, bwoom, bwoom, bwoom, and I hear a big groan and then a big moan (you know the difference don't you?). I rush to the door and flip on the light and there my husband is on the ground at the bottom of the stairs. Unbeknownst to us, it was raining outside (what's the big deal, right?), but it was also 28 degrees! His feet flew out from under him before he even took the first step down! Poor guy! He slowly got up to his feet, and said he didn't break anything and went on hunting. So after my heart slowed down, I sat back down and continued my Bible study after praying for my husband. :o)

I had an appointment 20 minutes away at 7:50 am, so at 7:15 I *carefully* went out and started my car. Boy, was it slick out there. I still hadn't listened to any news or weather reports though. I'm thinking "no big deal, it won't be slick on the roads." Well, it was a big deal...the roads were covered in ice. The first accident I saw (or at least saw the traffic backed up from it) was just past our house. We have a bridge near us that goes over a bypass...the cars were backed up for who knows how long on that road. Still, I thought "no big deal." I had to go to this appointment so I really didn't have a choice. The only other option I had was to go later in the day, but I had a full day scheduled and didn't think I could fit it in.

Long story took me over an hour to get to my appointment. I passed at least 5 accidents on the way...bad ones. One was on a bridge that goes over the James River. A large panel truck rear ended a small car...the car had a carseat in the backseat (the ambulance had already taken the people away). I prayed that child was okay. The second was a few yards past the bridge, and it was a very large SUV on its side. Scary.

Before I left my appointment to come back home, I called the house to check on the kids. Neal answered the phone. I excitedly asked him if he got a deer (since he was home already). He said "no...I'm in's raining...and it's COLD." He came home. He has been parked in the recliner all day icing his back. When I got home I looked at it and his lower back was swollen and a knot had formed. We think he broke his coccyx (sp?). I think only time will heal this injury...I just hope it's not too long for his sake.

So that was our day up to 9:30 am. I was ready to go back to bed and start all over!

1 comment:

Perri said...

Oh Teresa, tell him I'll be praying his rumpus heals soon. I know that is so painful. I'm glad you made it home OK.

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."