Thursday, May 17, 2007

What to do with leftover mashed potatoes?

Make Potato Cakes! My Mom used to make potato cakes out of leftover mashed potatoes, and I found out this morning that Neal's mom did too. I made them this morning for breakfast and they were a HUGE success! The kids wanted more. I told them the next time I make mashed potatoes (which isn't very often) they probably won't be so quick to get seconds. :o) This is what I did:

I had quite a bit left over so I beat up two eggs and mixed into the potatoes. Then I added flour a little bit at a time until I got a consistency I could work with (you want enough in there so that you can form patties. they will still be a bit sticky). Then I added chives (normally I would used diced onion, but since we had fresh chives I used them), a little salt since my potatoes were quite salty enough, pepper, and a little grated Parmesan cheese. Heat a little canola oil in your skillet at medium-high heat -- enough to lightly cover bottom of skillet -- and place patties in skillet. Flip every minute or so until both sides are golden brown. They are delish! We ate them with a little ketchup, but they're good without it.

1 comment:

Perri said...

I love potato pancakes. Now you have me wanting some!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."