Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday Night Supper

I was in a quandry this afternoon because I had no idea what I was going to fix for supper. I wanted to do something with rice and hamburger, so I started looking online. Nothing appealed to me. Today I bought a cookbook at a yard sale and found a recipe in there. As I usually do, I played around with it and created my version of the recipe. It's in the oven right now, so I can't really tell you if my family likes it or not, but if I can go by their oohs and aahs over the smell I think it will be a success!

Zesty Rice and Beef

1 lb lean ground hamburger
1 onion, chopped (I used Vidalia)
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 1/2 cups cooked rice (I use brown basmati)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can Mexican-style diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 can chili beans with chili sauce
chili powder (I sprinkled it generously over the meat mixture)
1 tsp granulated garlic (or powder)
1 tsp salt
1 8 oz pkg Velveeta cheese
1 cup cracker crumbs (I used Town House Garlic and Herb Toppers)
1/2 cup (or more) chopped walnuts (or your favorite nut)
2 tbsp melted butter

In large skillet (I used my wok pan), cook hamburger, onion, yellow pepper over medium heat until hamburger is no longer pink. Drain. Sprinkle chili powder, garlic and salt on top and mix well.

Add rice, corn, tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in Velveeta cheese until cheese melts. Move to greased 9 x 13 baking dish.

Combine cracker crumbs, walnuts and butter. Sprinkle over top of casserole.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until casserole is bubbly.

I'll let you know later how we liked it!

2 comments:

Neal said...

Yum....what time is supper? :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! Let us know!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."