Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Zucchini Parmesan

My Monday meal was Zucchini Parmesan. My sister-in-law, Janet, told me she made this the other night and I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't have a recipe, so I kind of made it up as I went along. Everyone enjoyed it.

First, it's best to use a big zucchini. Slice it into somewhat thick slices.


Then dip each slice into an egg wash and dredge in a crumb mixture. I used fresh ground whole wheat flour, Italian bread crumbs and garlic salt (Janet used bread crumbs)


Next I "fried" them on my griddle. The ones on the left I coated with a butter spray. It made the slices a bit crisper.


Finally, after putting spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13" pan, I layered the zuchinni slices and covered them with freshly grated parmesan. Then I covered the pan with foil, and baked about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Unfortunately we got so caught up with eating that I forgot to take after pictures! :o( I fixed some elbow macaroni and heated up the rest of my spaghetti sauce. I served the zucchini on the side next to the pasta dish. Neal put his on top of the pasta and then put the sauce on top. Whatever works for you!

I served a salad with this, and that was our meal!

4 comments:

Jess said...

This looks delicious! I'm so jealous of your zucchini, cucumbers and potatoes!! I'm hoping the cukes will last until Mom comes up to help me move...

Theresa said...

What a great way to use up those big zucchinis that don't taste as good for other stuff and when you're tired of zucchini bread! I like to slice the small ones for my stir fries.

Anonymous said...

As a side dish: dredge your zucchini in bread crumbs and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 until golden. Yum!

Hugs!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

That looks SO fabulous! I wish our zucchini hadn't all died! I guess I'll have to break down and actually buy some at the Farmer's Market tomorrow!!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."