Monday, April 23, 2007

Weekend Update

The single mom's retreat went really well! We had seven ladies come out, and we had a great time. The Lord is so awesome in how He helps me when I'm speaking to the ladies. I do not consider myself a good speaker in group settings, but every time I've spoken to the ladies, He's helped me speak without fumbling around and being nervous. I know it's Him...it's certainly not ME!

I had a special time at the retreat on Saturday morning. I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. I went ahead and got ready for the day and went downstairs to sit out on the screened in porch. I grabbed a blanket on my way out and enjoyed watching the day wake up. There were three ponds in the back yard, with a small mountain as the backdrop. Wow, what a gorgeous view. I was able to just sit and soak it all in...no rushing, no disturbances. The birds were singing and it was beautiful. When it was light enough I read some of the Psalms, sang, and prayed. It was a real time of refreshment for me.

Sunday was a busy day. After church we went to a friends house for a celebration potluck dinner. My best friend, Tammy and her husband found out that he was voted in to pastor a nearby church with a 100% vote. What a blessing! I've watched them the past few months and have been very impressed with how they've sought the Lord's direction for their lives. There were two other churches interested in him, and they had better "packages," but they prayed and just knew this was where the Lord wanted them. On a personal note, I'm very thankful that they stayed here so that I don't have to be separated from my best friend again! We get together at least once a month and go out. We've known each other for 25 years and I feel like Tammy's the sister I never had!

Last night we met with our pastor. Ben is going to be baptized on May 2nd and he's a little (understatement) nervous about it. So we met with the pastor so he could feel more comfortable with him. I think it was a success, and Ben is now looking forward to the big day! I'll be sure to take pictures. :o)

Tonight Neal took Ben to baseball, while I took Beth to "An Evening of Art Interpretation." This was an event we had at our church with our homeschool group. It was for grades 6 - 12, and each child could perform a special talent or two for the audience. Beth played two piano pieces. She did really well. Others played piano, violin, cello, guitar, and harp. Some recited famous speeches or poems, and one girl danced ballet (is that how you would phrase that?). Every one of them did an excellent job. It was not your "fingernails on the chalkboard" type of performance. It was obvious that each one had practiced long and hard and were very talented in the areas they performed.

Tomorrow's an "at-home" day. I'll be working on my handwriting job, doing school work, laundry, and house work. Fun, fun, fun! ;o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that all went well with those ladies! I am sure you were such an encouragement to them-- as they were to you as well. :-)

It's so nice to see groups of homeschoolers come together and well...make each other feel "normal" as homeschoolers.

And HOORAY for the baptism! I can't wait for the day that my kids accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. What a GLORIOUS day that would be!!!

Love,
Marsha

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."