Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Oatmeal, Anyone?

My family enjoys oatmeal. That hasn't always been the case though. About a year ago I was talking to a couple from our Sunday School class and the husband told me that he puts a little bit of peanut butter in his oatmeal. I thought "what do I have to lose? Maybe my kids will like it!" And guess what? They did! We've tried other ways of making it, but we always come back to this tried and true recipe. If you have a "non-oatmeal" eater out there, give this recipe a try:

For one serving:

1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
2 tsp sugar (I use demerara sugar)
dash of cinnamon (I pretty much cover the top of the oatmeal)
raisins -- about 1/4 cup or whatever your preference
2/3 cup water

stir and place in microwave on high for 2 minutes

Remove from microwave and add about a tablespoon of crunchy peanutbutter. Then you can either eat it as is, or add a bit of milk to make it thinner and cooler.

Enjoy!

(Our cousin Ruthie discovered she liked oatmeal this way when she visited us last week.) :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PEANUT BUTTER!!!

What a great idea-- I can't believe I never thought of that!

I've added vanilla creamer (yummy!), dried blueberries, chopped apples, brown sugar, maple syrup and even some almonds... but never peanut butter.

I. love. peanut butter.

In fact, I think I'm going to make me a bowl right now for a midnight snack. And then I really have to go to bed!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."