Friday, September 28, 2007

What's that Smell?

What's that smell? It's a smelly smell. It's a smelly smell that smells..............SMELLY!

That's what I have heard my children say a time or two around our house or when we're out and pass a skunk on the road. They've had the opportunity to use that phrase twice at our house in the last two days!

Yesterday we tried out a recipe for homemade microwave popcorn. The recipe works great, however, I tried to get as many pops out of the kernels as I could and took it a little too far! Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for me, we were at my mom's when we burnt a bag of popcorn. Yuck! There are not many smells worse than burnt popcorn! I quickly carried the bag outside and poured water on it, but the smell permeated my skin and my right hand smelled like burnt popcorn all day!

The past couple of days I've been smelling something unpleasant in my house. You know how it is when you walk in the door and take a deep whiff to see if your house smells okay? (or am I the only one who does that?) Anyway, it hasn't been smelling "just right." Today I opened my pantry door to check on our supply of oatmeal (I buy it bulk), and when I grabbed the bag of potatoes off of my oatmeal container I knew something wasn't right. It had a smell....a smelly smell...a smell that smelled NASTY!!!

Okay, besides burnt popcorn, what smell is worse than rotten potatoes? They were so rotten they dripped across the floor as I carried them to the garbage. I yelled for Ben to get here quick and carry out the garbage. About 3 seconds too late I realized there would be more garbage to take care of...the napkins I had to use to wipe up the nasty potato drippings, the bag that the other bag of potatoes was in because the nasty drippings were on that bag, the onion bag, etc. So I filled up another walmart bag and carried it out, then came back and used Clorox wipes to clean up any lingering smells. Phew! I'm glad I found it, but that was one stinky, aka smelly, job!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

EWWWWW!!!!! Nope, I can't think of a smell much worse than that and I have a baby. ;-)

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."