Monday, September 24, 2007

On Friday we went to Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg, Virginia. I love going to amusement parks, although I have to admit that my interests have changed. When I was a kid I never understood why my Mom wouldn't ride the rides. She would not go on a roller coaster at all. I LOVED them! What could be the problem. Well, her problem may not be the same problem I've developed, but I still feel like I better understand her now.

Beth and Ben are fearless on the roller coasters. They rode them over and over and over again. I'm doing pretty good if I ride each one once. Neal, Ruthie, and I would ride the roller coasters with them the first time (at least most of them) and then we'd let them ride by themselves while our heads went back to normal. I don't know, maybe it's just us, but our brains don't "bounce back" like they used to!

I learned my lesson last year on a few of the rides, and I knew better than to even try them. I can ride nothing with a repetitive motion or where it just goes round and round -- swings, the big boat that rocks back and forth, etc. I learned that I definitely cannot handle Corkscrew Hill which is a 3-D movie where you sit strapped down in seats and the floor moves you back and forth, up and down, etc. I almost tossed my cookies on that one last year, and there was no way I was going to give a repeat performance!

This year there was a new ride...The Griffin!


This is the world's tallest, floorless, dive coaster. It drops you down 205 feet at a 90 degree angle! When you get to the top of the drop, the coaster stops and you sit there for the longest 5 seconds of your life before it drops you down and carries you through the rest of the hills, twists, and turns! There are 3 rows with 8 people across. If you sit in rows one or two you stop at the top of the hill looking straight down. If you're in row three (which would be me!) you at least get to look straight ahead.

I rode that thing not once, not twice, but THREE times! It was the scariest roller coaster I've ever been on, but it was also the smoothest, and the most fun! I have to admit that I wasn't brave enough to ride in rows one or two, but my kids did! When we told them it was there last time to ride it, they both decided to ride in the front row. When I saw my precious little babies 205 feet up in the air staring down from a 90 degree drop, I about got sick! I would much rather have been on the coaster than watch them in that front row! I broke out in a sweat and my heart started beating rapidly. Whoa!!! That was a toughie! But not only did they sit in the front row, they raised their hands up in the air! Yikes!!!

We did have an awesome time though. I have to go right now, but I'll post tomorrow about Neal's favorite (NOT) ride! ;o)

1 comment:

Andi said...

I'll sit out with you on the swings- that's the only ride I have ever been sick on- mid air. Not fun.

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."