Tuesday, March 18, 2008

El Elyon

The second name of God I read about was El Elyon, the Most High. He is the sovereign ruler of all the universe. There is nothing that can happen to us without God's knowledge or permission.

A good example in the Bible of El Elyon is in Job. Satan could not do anything to Job without God's permission. First God gave him permission to do anything he wanted, but not touch Job's body. Satan thought Job would curse God we he took away all of his wealth and children. But he didn't. So then Satan said it was because he didn't do anything to Job's "person." So God told him he could do whatever he wanted to Job, but not to kill him. So Satan put painful boils all over Job's body from head to toe just knowing that Job would curse God. But he didn't. Instead Job said "Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?"

One might wonder why God would allow Satan to harm one of His children. I don't pretend to know the mind of God, but I do know that we can bring Him glory through our trials in the way we respond to them.

My prayer is that in whatever trials I face in the days, weeks, months and years ahead, that I bring glory to my Lord and Savior in my thoughts, words, and actions.

No comments:

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."