Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lots on my Plate

And I'm not talking about food. :o) I'm actually trying to have less food on my plate. LOL

It's beautiful outside today. I went out to the courtyard on my lunch break. There's a picnic table out there and I sat on the side that faces the mountains. The sky was blue, and the mountains looked an even deeper blue. Gorgeous! The sun was shining, but their was a continual breeze that made the 57 degrees feel a bit cooler.

I wasn't hungry, so I took my Bible out and read some. I came across a really neat verse: Psalm 39:6 "We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it." Verse 7 goes on to say "And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you."

Moving shadows...

Speaking of shadows, last night Neal, the kids, and I went to see the play "Shadowlands." It was about C.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia author), or rather about a short time in his life...the time from when he met his wife Joy - until her death. A short time...only a few years. There was a movie made in the 90's by the same name. Anthony Hopkins played Lewis (don't know if I can get past the Hannibal Lecter image here) and Debra Winger played Joy.

We are blessed to live in an area with a University with an excellent drama department. We've been to every production this year with the exception of one -- Much Ado About Nothing. That played last month when I had the stomach flu. I'd already purchased 4 tickets, so Grandma and Grandpa took the kids. They loved it. Next month is West Side Story...I can't wait!

I'm continuing to work part-time at our Registrar's office. My last day will be March 31st. I've really enjoyed the job and the extra money, but I look forward to being home full-time again!

Right now I'm busy planning a single mom's retreat for April. Our theme is Extreme Make-Over: Heart Edition. I have two speakers lined up, plus me. One lady will speak Saturday night, I'll do an early Sunday devotional and then the other lady will speak later Sunday morning. I still have lots of planning and preparing to do, but the final pieces are falling into place.

The fireplace is still not operating yet! We did find an insert and logs to fit, but we're waiting on a blower to come in. We ordered one and it came in and didn't work. We got another one, brought it home and it didn't work. Now they're ordering another. We also have to have the gas lines run for us. That should happen any day now.

Our new microwave came in and Neal picked it up yesterday. Yaah! We should install it tomorrow night. We borrowed one from a friend and it's been sitting on our counter. It'll be nice to have one installed over our stove again...out of the way! What a blessing the borrowed microwave has been though!

Oh, I just finished a really good book: The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling. It's a book that deals with loss...loss of a child, parent, marriage, a child through abortion, etc. Although it's fictionalized, it has a lot of good truths in it, and was a book to really make me take stock and think about what I have in my life!

Now I'm going to be reading LORD, I Want to Know You by Kay Arthur...not fiction. This is a study on the Names of God. I'm so excited about doing this. I'll not be going through it at a leisurely pace though, as I want to use some of this material at our retreat next month. I may be sharing some of what I learn here.

Blessings,

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I LOVE Kay Arthur! I did that study and I think one of the benefits from knowing who God is by His name is that when the hard times hit, you know exactly WHO is on your team and keeping you safe! I did the precept Bible studies for 6 years and they are awesome...lots of work but worth it!

I think it's awesome you are doing a retreat for single moms! And I love the theme.

I read that book from Lorraine Snelling and also most of her Dakota prairie books which were interesting to me because my family homesteaded about 100 miles from her fictional town. I don't usually like modern fiction but the healing quilt was a good story.

The original Shadowlands movie is better. We have both versions on DVD. I thought the British version was a little more realistic and the faith showed through more, but both were good. I believe the Shadowlands came from Colossians 2:17 if I remember correctly and I also enjoyed the verse in Psalms with shadows!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."