Friday, March 14, 2008

Elohim

A couple of days ago I posted about Elohim -- Creator God. Now I want to talk about how I came to be studying the names of God.

At the beginning of the year I started reading through the Bible. When I would come across different names for God, I kind of felt like the Holy Spirit was prompting me to learn about these names and who God is. I can remember thinking "that's a good idea, I should do that sometime." Then I'd keep on reading.

On Monday of this week, I met with a couple of ladies who are going to be speakers at our single mom's retreat next month. One of the ladies started talking about the names of God with such an intensity and intimacy that I was drawn in. She thought it would be a good idea to bring that into our retreat. I thought "aha...that's why God wanted me to learn the names of God." It could be, but yesterday afternoon I had a different idea.

After I found out about Neal's impending surgery, the Lord brought to mind the name I'd studied only the day before -- Elohim -- mighty God, Creator! And it struck me...God created Neal. God created Neal's heart. Elohim created Neal's heart! We think of Neal's heart as having a "defect," but God didn't make him and say "Oops...messed up on that one." No. For one reason or another, he allowed Neal's heart to have a "defect." God knew from the beginning of time that Neal would have to go through this surgery at this time. He makes no mistakes.

Now we just have to trust Elohim. Trust that He is in control. After all, if He can create the entire universe, I'm sure if He so chooses, he can fix a broken heart!

As Neal told the kids yesterday, "the doctors have been working on this procedure for many years now so that they'd have it down just right for me." ;o)

3 comments:

Perri said...

Teresa, you have the right attitude to get you through this scary time.

I have people praying!

VaQueenBee said...

Thank you, Perri.

Theresa said...

Teresa, look up the God Who Heals in the book...I think it is Rapha and the God who provides...I think it's Jireh. HOpe I remembered that right. He is with you!

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."