Tuesday, April 8, 2008

New Prayer Request

The surgeon came in to talk to us tonight. He told us a new possibility. There is a chance that once he gets a good look at Neal's heart that he can repair the aortic valve (the defective valve -- not the aorta) with Neal's own flaps. Don't ask me how, but just know that this could be a very good thing. The reason this could be good is that by using a pig valve Neal will have to have open heart surgery again in another 15 years or so. If they can use Neal's own parts to repair the valve (instead of replace it)there's a possibility it could last a lifetime...or at least much longer than the pig valve. We are praying that when he gets in there that he will find this to be the case and that he can indeed repair it instead of replace it! It's one of those things that the doctor won't know until he's in there.

We had an awesome opportunity to pray with the doctor tonight. After the surgeon finished talking to us we asked if it would be all right if we prayed with him. He said that would be fine, so we asked our dear friend Gary Lawhorne (who came in from SC for the surgery) to pray for Dr. M. Our kids and my mom were there at the time, so we all gathered around Neal's bed and Gary prayed for the doctor and for the other staff. It was such a special time!

Well, I've gotta run. I'm at home right now. I brought Ben home and I'm going to get a shower and go back to the hospital. I'll update tomorrow as we know what's going on!

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. Psalm 18:2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for all of you, you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Love & Miss y'all, The Duke Family

Theresa said...

Just came to check in. This is awesome news, especially praying for the doctor! I am asking God to make it possible to use his own valve. Praying for you too.

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."