Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spinach Strawberry Salad

Neal loves spinach! He's on coumadin now (for about 8 weeks) and we were afraid he wouldn't be allowed to eat it, but the doctor told us if he eats the same amount every day he can adjust the medicine. While we were in the hospital, one of the doctors told us about her favorite way to eat spinach... Spinach Strawberry Salad. I looked it up online the second day we were home and found this recipe. It is delicious! I made a few changes for what I had in my pantry, and it turned out excellent.

Serves 8

1 lb spinach
1 pint strawberries, sliced set a few aside
1/2 cup pecans, toasted

Dressing

1/3 cup raspberry vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute (I used sucanat with honey)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
2 teaspoons poppy seeds (I omited)

1. Toast pecans over low heat, set aside to cool.
2. Combine dressing ingredients and shake well.
3. Toss and garnish with a few sliced strawberries.
4. Serve immediately.

(I added mushrooms, cucumber, feta cheese and crumbled bacon)

No comments:

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."