Saturday, November 3, 2007

November 2, 1957

Fifty years ago yesterday....November 2, 1957....my Mom and Dad were married in Liberty, Indiana. My Dad worked for General Motors in the factory for over 30 years, and Mom stayed home with my two brothers and I. They raised us in a small town in Ohio where everyone knew everyone else, and we could ride our bikes and roam the neighborhood without fear. If we did anything wrong everyone knew who we were, so our parents were bound to find out! Mom and Dad moved into that house around 1964 with their two sons, and then had me in 1966. They sold the house in 1991 (after we were all on our own) and moved to Myrtle Beach, SC...their favorite vacation spot.

Mom and Dad had a good life together for almost 45 years, and then my dad passed away in 2002. Mom lives near us now (right downstairs actually) and has very good memories of her husband. We wished her a Happy Anniversary yesterday...bittersweet.

Looking back, I'm thankful we had a little celebration for their 40th anniversary. I was great with child (less than 2 weeks from delivery), so they came to our house in Georgia, along with one of my brothers and his wife. We all had a really nice weekend together.

If Dad were still alive, I'm sure this weekend would have been filled with celebrating the marriage the Lord gave to my parents!

No comments:

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."