Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Veteran's Day

Sunday, November 11th, was Veteran's Day, but since it was on a Sunday this year it was observed on Monday. The kids and I have been doing a unit study this past week about Veteran's Day. It's been a good study, and now they have a better grasp of what our soldiers are doing and what the soldiers in the past have done for our country. Whether a person supports the war or not, our soldiers are all around the world protecting our freedoms. So support our troops! My friend Perri put this link on her blog. Go to it and you can easily send a soldier a post card! It will take about 30 seconds. I don't think that's too much to ask of us sitting here in our comfortable chairs, is it?

Yesterday Mom and I took the kids to a local Veteran's Day ceremony. For those of you who don't know, my Mom is a veteran. She served in the U.S. Army for two years, from November 10, 1954, until November 9, 1956. She had the rank of Corporal when she finished. I'm very proud of my Mom. Her Mom had 11 children....8 sons and 3 daughters. All 8 sons and 1 daughter served in the military. Some were prisoners of war, and some were wounded, but all came home. Not every parent was that blessed.

Here are some pictures from yesterday:

This is the monument where we gathered

Mom, Beth, and Ben remembering our soldiers


A Veteran saluting as his branch of the military is called out

The Ragged Old Flag (click here to hear this poem/song that they sang while we gazed at this ragged flag)

No comments:

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."